Sunday 8 May 2022

Memories Learned

Kindergarten at Rolph Road Public School

I had a friend on the corner

Another down the street

Several that just appeared


We played road hockey

Climbed tress and jumped in leaves

Crushed Pennies on train tracks

and played chicken on our bikes.


I grew up in Leaside

First as Duane, then as Bob

That's where life began

I was six. The before was wished away


The before, I'm told, was Cornwall

Then Logan Ave and The Riverdale Zoo

And a sister and a brother or two or three

And a lot of Toronto Children's Aid Society 


In a house as an only child

In another as one of many

In one where I did the laundry

In another where I was strapped, a lot


In and out

Sometimes fed, often not, never well

Sometimes hugged sometimes slapped.

And then I turned six


Then it was Leaside

Then it was real memories

Not just memories learned

from the past I had wished away 


There was public skating

and popcorn and Hockey games

Hot chocolate and The Westbury Hotel

And Santa Claus Parades


There was the Chip King

And adults playing cards

Hockey Night in Canada

and the The Flintstones at Lunch


There were also house fires

Doctor visits

Stolen cars

And skipping school


And there was a new mother that cared

And a new father who dared

He wouldn't back down

and he never gave in or up


There was a blue convertible 

Juicy Fruit gum and True Cigarettes 

There was an office on Bayview

near a diner with Lemon Pie


There was a TV Commercial

and rubber cement

There was Canada Wire and Cable

and skate sharpening and Mr. Mahovlich


There were wirehaired dogs

and a kind, elderly not-aunt

The Christmas Wish Book

And Santa Claus was real after all 


I began as a rescue dog

too scared, too quiet, too thin

But love found me and cared for me

And I received more than I deserved


And now I have the memories 

Mostly good

Some bad

And the worst, those are the memories learned

Search This Blog